Michael Grunwald - Counsellor & Psychologist
Life is a constant work in progress - and sometimes we just need a little outside help. This may be to manage transitions, get things back on track after major or minor disruptions to your 'normal' life or find your way back out of a meaningless, anxious or conflictual cul-de-sac. On the other hand, you might feel like your life has never been 'normal' and are seeking a longer term solution.
If you feel you require more or other kinds of support than are currently available from your friends and family or at your workplace, please call me (0414 400 508) to briefly outline your situation and discuss the various options for an initial consultation.
Things to make you feel good!
I am a Registered General Psychologist (AHPRA Reg. No.PSY0001070032) and accredited Counsellor based at Therapeutic Axis on St Johns Road (opposite Glebe Town Hall) in Sydney's Inner West. If you find it difficult to come to Glebe, I may also be able to visit your home, residential facility or workplace. Please go to my "Background" page to learn about my counselling training and areas of expertise.
Medicare and other subsidised services
Ask your General Practitioner about a referral as part of an official Mental Health Plan - you may be entitled to up to 10 counselling sessions free of charge per calendar year under Medicare (Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative). Private patients can also ask their health fund about their rebate policy for approved psychological services.
What mental health problems can be treated under the Better Access initiative?
'Mental disorder' is a term used to describe a range of clinically diagnosable disorders that significantly impact on a person's emotions, thoughts, social skills and decision-making. The Better Access initiative covers people with mental disorders arising from:
Note: Click each point to access further information
- Alcohol use disorder
- Anxiety disorders
- Adjustment disorder
- Attention deficit disorder
- Bereavement disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Conduct disorder
- Co-occurring anxiety and depression
- Depression (including Post-Partum Depression PPD)
- Drug use disorder
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Phobic disorder
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) - What is PTSD?
- Psychotic disorders
- Sexual disorders - Love, sex and pornography
- Sleep problems
Other areas of counselling interest
- Attachment theory and relationships
- Family Systems
- Addiction - including pornography
- Anger Management
- Polyvagal Theory
- Narcissism - Your manager? - Your date? - Your partner? - Strategies 1 - Strategies 2
- Mental Health NSW - WayAhead Directory of services (comprehensive list of supporting organisations)
- Smiling Mind
- Mood Active
- Beyond Blue
- Headspace - Support for 15-24 year olds
- Black Dog Institute
- SANE Australia
- Mental Health Association NSW
- St Vincents Hospital
- Butterfly Foundation (Eating disorders)
- Foundation House (Construction Industry)
- www.brophy.org.au - It's Time we Talked
Link to latest helpful article: You've been diagnosed with depression, now what?